Omaze.com is the online home of Omaze, a company that says their goal is to make giving money to charities both fun and easy, no matter how much money you have to give.
How Does It Work?
According to their website, the creators of Omaze.com got the idea for their business when they attended a charity auction and saw their dream item up for a bid – attending a basketball game and dinner with Magic Johnson. Unfortunately the bidding quickly went so high that the majority of the people at the event were priced out of bidding, but it ultimately ended at $15,000.
This experience left the creators of Omaze confused. They didn’t understand this fundraising model, which was limited to a small number of wealthy people but which only ended up collecting $15,000 for a prize that they felt was worth much more. They decided to come up with a new model for charitable fundraising.
The Omaze.com model “democratizes” traditional charity auctions by giving as many people access to their opportunities as possible, and they do this by pricing their donations to win once in a lifetime experiences for as little as $10.
Their website says that because of this new and different crowdsourcing approach, people from more than 170 different countries have donated to more than 150 different charities, which they say drives up awareness for the charities and ultimately raises more money.
As mentioned above, this website organizes charitable opportunities which people can win for a donation of as little as $10, but of course the actual amount of money which is required for each donation will depend on the individual fundraising opportunity.
In addition, their website says that their company only takes 20% of the net funds that their website collects for their operational costs, and the other 80% of their funds go to the charities for which they are raising the money.
Because this company is collecting donations for charitable causes, it doesn’t appear that they offer their customers a standard Refund Policy at this time. If you do believe that you have encountered circumstances which justify your refund request, you should contact their Customer Service team as soon as possible so they can assist you.
Customer Service Contact Info
Customers who would like to speak to their Customer Service team about their questions, concerns, or complaints can do so by submitting them directly to their website through their Support Center and Submit a Request link.
This company does appear to have some vocal customers who have complained online about their website, and most of the complaints appear to be centered on a specific issue: the inability of this company to follow through on their promises to send customers donation awards.
For example, people were told they would receive t-shirts when they donated certain causes, but the company never actually sent them their t-shirts, even after multiple emails were Customer Service promised they would. Prospective customers may see this as a small problem, or they may feel as though this an indicator of larger problems with this company.
Competitors and Alternatives?
There are actually a variety of services that use the crowdsourcing model to raise money for different charitable causes, as well as some options which auction off different celebrity experiences, so customers looking for alternatives to Omaze.com will have other options.
If you have experience with this company or their products, please leave your Omaze.com reviews below.
2 ‘Omaze.com’ Reviews
Giving people the chance to get some perks while donating is good but Omaze should be clear with their terms and conditions. I have donated via Omaze (I want to meet Matt Stone and Trey Park and John Oliver ;) ) but it was not clear whether the prize is eligible for people outside of USA (luckily they do). I understand that maintaining a website has its costs so Omaze should just say out right that they take a 20% cut for every donation.
Omaze.com was started by two ridiculous guys who have never worked in their lives.
They are abetted by “stars” to get you to contribute to charity like
Autism Speaks or Veterans organizations by promising stuff like “George Clooney gives you compliments for 45 seconds” or “win a Valentine’s Date with Idris Elba" ($750000 raised..) HOWEVER these two twerps keep 20% of the donations! So they kept $150,000 for just the one Idris Elba deal!
Now they are doing Jon Stewart’s, Colbert’s, Seth Meyer’s “Night of Too many Stars” for autism. You can sit under Colbert’s desk, sit with Seth and writers for a meeting then 20% goes AGAIN to these twerps! So if $4 million raised, they keep $800,000 for one night! It should go to autistic adults NOT these jerks of Omaze!
These awful celebrities worth tens of millions of dollars should say up front that Omaze keeps 20% BUT THEY NEVER DO!